Re: API freeze release ... status so far.

On 03Aug2001 10:20AM (-0400), Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:52:12PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> >
> > Unless gal and eel are ready and frozen *NOW* I would personally rather
> > not include them in the set of public advertised core APIs. I do believe
> > there are open issues around which part of these would be moved into
> > gtk+ 2.2, so if gnome 2.0 and a follow on gnome 2.2 happen, adding
> > either/both in the follow-on would be a low cost, compatible operation.
> >
> > If they are not ready *NOW*, then it is do lkate in the game to wait for
> > them, at least IMVHO.
>
> Their status as 'core' or 'non-core' is peripheral.  They need to be
> usable with the new gnome-2 before most of the major apps can begin
> transition.

I can't speak for gal, but since eel is only used by Nautilus (as far
as core GNOME apps go), and since it's maintained by the same people
that take care of Nautilus, I think it's OK to not ever freeze it
until Nautilus is ready for some sort of freeze.

In particular, taking full advantage of some of the new GNOME 2
platform features in Nautilus may require eel API breakage.

 - Maciej