Re: API freeze release ... status so far.

On 03Aug2001 01:52PM (+0100), Sander Vesik wrote:

> Well, an otherwise small change of changing the name of a library and
> making 1 line changes to makefiles in other modules would still be a hughe
> change if it was done just before the freeze.
>
> size_of_change = size_of_diff / time_to_release

Hi Sander,

I agree it was a risky change to do down to the wire, but it took me
and Michael some time to figure out the right thing to do, and we
figured it was better to make the change now than wait until GNOME
3.0.

> Unless gal and eel are ready and frozen *NOW* I would personally rather
> not include them in the set of public advertised core APIs.

I don't think eel wants to be declared a public API. As for gal, I
think we would need to declare a special category of "GPL platform
libraries" if the maintainers wanted to publish that API. I think
publishing the "gal" API may cause confusion between ETable and
GtkTreeView though, and which is the right one for apps to use.

 - Maciej