Re: API freeze release ... status so far.

Hi Sander,

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Suprise!!! Starting with a big platform change 4 days before supposed
> API freeze broke lots of things.

        The change is not in fact that large - and amounts mostly to a
bunch of seds. It took me only ~ 2 hours to port all of the relevant
modules to bonobo-activation, and only ~ 1 day to get the patches approved
[ mainly due to people not being awake ].

> OTOH we really need to make sure everything freezes and is released
> ASAP. The reason there is a thing called 'library beta 1' scheduled to
> happen in 5 weeks time is so as much as possible of non-API bug fixing
> could be pushed to post-freeze and make it easier for people to
> participate.

        So, I see priorities as glade / libglade, printing and gal / eel,
and any other misc. foundation libraries we need.

        Also - I hear rumours of GStreamer being used as a sound API - and
I wonder:

        * Who uses this API
        * Where is the API published ?
        * Is it frozen ? / can it be frozen now ?
        * Can we ship packages for it that don't require thousands of
          obscure support libraries ?

        Regards,

                Michael.