Re: API freeze release ... status so far.

On 3 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:
> > Well, 'what is our multimedia strategy' is the wrong kind of discussion to
> > have 3 days after API freeze.
> >

> These things happen if you haven't actually tracked anything in
> bugzilla or equivalent - stuff drops through the cracks. I refuse to
> believe that anyone has all the issues with our huge library set kept
> in their head.

I don't think a meta-issue in bugzilla like 'make sure people come up
with all dancing all singing maultimedia framework' would have helped
anything. Yes, there are people making the 'we want it' noises, but the
fact is, they weren't there making it happening for the API freeze (or
gnome 2.0).

> Anyway, short-term break-as-little-as-possible solutions would be:
>
>  - just leave libesound there, it isn't big, we can reimplement the lib
>    as a CSL wrapper later
>  - delete the bleeping-menus feature
>  - or if CSL is already used in CVS, stick with it

'go with what Martin has put in libgnome and get people to actually work
through the architectureal issue and come up with a good solution that
can be inserted into the platform'.

My estimate is we'll have it no earlier than ~ 12 months from now which
also sounds like post-gnome-2.0

> Havoc

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.