Re: orbit(2)-idl

Mike Kestner <mkestner ameritech net> writes:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > It has to be renamed - all files installed by any library must be
> > renamed.  Because you need to be able to install and develop against
> > both old and new lib simultaneously, in the same prefix.
>
> So this extends to the ior and name service, etc... all of which
> currently conflict with the 1.x binaries.  How forked is
> ORBit-martin-forked?  I can go ahead and work up a patch for all this,
> but I'd like to know I'm not wasting my time on a problem that can be
> worked around by prefixing and creative PATH setting until some
> unforking occurs.

I think part of gearing up the libs for work is getting this done. A
good way to test it: we need to be able to have a complete set of
GNOME 2 libs RPMs that do not conflict in file list with the GNOME 1
RPMs.

Anyway, it's much easier for people to hack on GNOME 2 if we do this,
and it should be done ASAP. I'll do it for GConf HEAD, GConf is
already set up with this in mind.

You'll have to ask Martin and Elliot about ORBit. I'm guessing ORBit2
is already renamed like this; but of course it doesn't work or
whatever. So... we need a solution to the whole ORBit situation.
Maybe we need an ORBit 1.2 that goes out with GNOME 2, with ORBit2
following later? I don't know what the plans are here, whether ORBit2
will be ready in the next couple weeks to basically build and work so
people can develop Bonobo/gnome-libs, or whether ORBit2 will make the
July total-freeze-date for libraries.

Havoc