Re: Reminder: impending GNOME 1.4 RC1 deadline

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:

> Why don't we just call all our packages 1.3.99.xx and then update the version
> numbers to 1.4.0 right before the final release but without changing anything
> in the tarball.
>
> I remember that we did this in the GNOME 1.0 days.

I would strongly prefer the packages be numbered 1.4.0 if you are
using that scheme. That means if everything goes well, there will be
no need to respin the package at all. If all the packages will need to
be respun at least for version number along, that introduces
unnecessary risk into the release. By far the best situation is if the
release candidate turns out to be identical in content to the GNOME
1.4 release itself. It may well be we will have one or two last-minute
fire drills, but let's go in with the expectation that basically we
are putting together GNOME 1.4 on Friday and then just holding it two
weeks to make sure it's OK.

I don't really see what 1.3.99.x adds anyway.

 - Maciej