RE: GNOME Releng web site

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> So my suggestion is that when we release GNOME 1.4 we also release a
> list of software we
> recommend to get a 'full' GNOME experience. This list would hopefully be
> used as the basis
> for what distributions will include when they bundle GNOME. My fear is
> that if we just release a barebones GNOME 1.4 release, some distro's
> might put just that in, making GNOME seem rather application poor.

I think this is pretty key, particularily if the list includes 'kits' of
similar software.  Then the GNOME Foundation would be able to go to each
of the major distribution houses to say

   "We think that your customers will be most happy with their GNOME
   experience if you ship GNOME 1.4, GNOME Office 0.9, GNOME Games 1.4,
   and the GNOME Internet Pack 1.4."

Alternatively, vendors could go the www.gnome.org and see the list of the
GNOME 'kits' available with a description of the packages they include
(with version numbers) and a link to the latest release.