Re: Proposal: Gabber and gnome--

Christian Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org> writes:

> I disagree with your opinion about the inclusion of Gabber.  There are
> some important factors here I don't think you have taken into
> consideration.

Christian,

If there is a strong consensus to include Gabber, we will do
so. However, I am a bit negatively predisposed to the idea, for the
reasons stated.

In addition, Gabber would add an external dependency on one or more
Jabber-related packages (presumably).

Some comments on the reasons you propose for including it:

> a) The inclusion of Gabber doesn't have to mean the exclusion of any
> other instant messaging client.

That's true, but including a lot of them would be bad (it would make
releasing terribly complicated), and including only one or a few would
be unfair to the rest. So I'd rather the GNOME core desktop stayed out
of this area until there are clear winners.

> b) Jabber is IM system based on free software, which makes 'supporting'
> it a good thing.

So are IRC, Gale, Zephyr... the probelm with IM clients is that
there's so many to choose from.

> c) Having Gabber included with GNOME is important as proof of concept
> for booth for Gtk-- and Gnome --.
>
> d) It will help tell the world that the GNOME mantra of being able to
> develop in any language you choose is more than just a slogan, but
> something we actually live by instead of being a very C only oriented
> crowd.

I think being written in C++ should be a point neither in favor of nor
against Gabber or any other app.

> I second the suggestion of including Gabber in GNOME 1.4

Noted :-)

Further comments are hereby solicited.

 - Maciej