Re: Re: Proposal: Gabber and gnome--

Maciej Stachowiak writes:

>Julian Missig <julian linuxpower org> writes:
>
>> (I'll copy mjs's format because it's fairly easy to follow)
>>
>> 1) I would like to propose that along with gtk--, whatever latest
>> version of gnome-- that Karl Nelson manages to release also be added to
>> the GNOME 1.4 package list.
>>
>> Rationale: If we're going to have the C++ GTK+ bindings, we should also
>> have the GNOME bindings.
>
>I think including gnome-- would be a good idea if Karl is willing to
>declare it stable and API-frozen for GNOME 1.x.
>
>> 2) I would also like to propose that Dave Smith and my GNOME Jabber
>> Client, "Gabber" be added to the package list. Gabber currently requires
>> gtk--, gnome--, libglade, and gnet. However, if gnet will not be in the
>> GNOME 1.4 package list, we can include it with Gabber (I believe)
>>
>> Rationale: Gabber is a GNOME client for an up-and-coming open source
>> instant messaging system. It would be very nice to support an open
>> source IM system, especially when it has the capability of communicating
>> with the closed source systems (ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!, etc) if you so desire.
>
>I personally don't think we should include Gabber at this
>time. Although chat is an important space, there's like 30 different
>chat programs for GNOME and I don't think we should pick which to
>include until and unless there is some clear winner.
>
 >  - Maciej

I disagree with your opinion about the inclusion of Gabber.  There are
some important factors here I don't think you have taken into
consideration.

a) The inclusion of Gabber doesn't have to mean the exclusion of any
other instant messaging client.

b) Jabber is IM system based on free software, which makes 'supporting'
it a good thing.

c) Having Gabber included with GNOME is important as proof of concept
for booth for Gtk-- and Gnome --.

d) It will help tell the world that the GNOME mantra of being able to
develop in any language you choose is more than just a slogan, but
something we actually live by instead of being a very C only oriented
crowd.

I second the suggestion of including Gabber in GNOME 1.4

Christian