Re: Proposal: Gabber and gnome--

Julian Missig <julian linuxpower org> writes:

> (I'll copy mjs's format because it's fairly easy to follow)
>
> 1) I would like to propose that along with gtk--, whatever latest
> version of gnome-- that Karl Nelson manages to release also be added to
> the GNOME 1.4 package list.
>
> Rationale: If we're going to have the C++ GTK+ bindings, we should also
> have the GNOME bindings.

I think including gnome-- would be a good idea if Karl is willing to
declare it stable and API-frozen for GNOME 1.x.

> 2) I would also like to propose that Dave Smith and my GNOME Jabber
> Client, "Gabber" be added to the package list. Gabber currently requires
> gtk--, gnome--, libglade, and gnet. However, if gnet will not be in the
> GNOME 1.4 package list, we can include it with Gabber (I believe)
>
> Rationale: Gabber is a GNOME client for an up-and-coming open source
> instant messaging system. It would be very nice to support an open
> source IM system, especially when it has the capability of communicating
> with the closed source systems (ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!, etc) if you so desire.

I personally don't think we should include Gabber at this
time. Although chat is an important space, there's like 30 different
chat programs for GNOME and I don't think we should pick which to
include until and unless there is some clear winner.

 - Maciej