Re: Re: extra app list (revision)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 05:47:40PM +0100 or thereabouts, mathieu [ chaos chaos chaos since 79 ] wrote:
> >I also suggest to add gpaint (http://gpaint.sourceforge.net) to the list.
> >Gpaint is a simple to use paint program that serves great as a simple
> >image editor for a desktop environment.
>
> the Gimp is capable of everything, I wonder why we should need need a «
> simple » image editor...

For the benefit of people like me with machines that run Linux reasonably
well at the command line, can manage X, but which struggle with any really
heavy applications?

I have a Cyrix MediaGX/233 with 32 megs of RAM. It runs fvwm2 beautifully.
It runs a minimal GNOME (I use windowmaker as the wm; other people would
advocate fvwm or e with no frills, or sawfish) with all the frills
switched off and manages that fine. I run several workspaces, lots of
gnome-terminals, and a panel applet or eight.

But I don't install netscape on it and I don't install the gimp on it.
They are simply Too Much for my poor little Cyrix -- which was, not so
long ago, a new super-dooper machine way more powerful than anything
I'd had before! Those two in particular take up to a minute to start up:
which is bad when you hit the wrong menu entry as often as I do.

I still open xpaint rather than the gimp, because it's small and simple
and does all I need. I don't know what gpaint is, but if it's similar,
then I'd certainly consider it if I were going to use that machine for
graphical stuff (which I am not :)).

Telsa