Re: [gnet] Help with autoconf & gnet : again

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 04:22:29PM -0500, Andrew J Lanoix wrote (0.39):
> I would check out a version of GNet from CVS before the changes were
> committed until David and Mark get a chance to look at the problem.

It looks like the problem is with Juanan's configure script, not ours
(at least, you're having a problem with the gnet.m4 autoconf macro in
your configure script, right Juanan?)

> On 27 Dec 2001, Juanan Pereira wrote:
> >
> > I can't make a clean ./configure, I always get this error:
> >
> > ./configure: line 4418: syntax error near unexpected token
> > `AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,'
> >
> > ./configure: line 4418: `AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,'

Did you run aclocal before you ran autoconf?  After you run aclocal,
look at the contents of the file aclocal.m4... is the AM_PATH_GNET macro
in there?  If not, then you need to tell aclocal where to find it.

> > AM_PATH_GNET(1.0.4,
> >  LIBS="$LIBS $GNET_LIBS" CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $GNET_CFLAGS",
> >  { echo "configure: error: Cannot find GNet: Is gnet-config in path?"
> > 1>&2; exit 1; })
> >
> > I'm a complete newbie with autoconf and config internals, but IMHO, this
> > is not a normal command of a bash script. It seems that it's a macro
> > that autoconf have not expanded from configure.in.

You are correct.  autoconf should have expanded it, but if you didn't
run aclocal before running autoconf, then autoconf won't be able to find
the macro definition.

> > [chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ find . -name "gnet.m4"
> > ./macros/gnet.m4
> > ./gnet.m4
> >
> > [chessy bisho goats-0.5]$ locate gnet.m4
> > /usr/share/aclocal/gnet.m4

This should do the trick... you shouldn't need the other ones.  You
_might_ have troubles using the gnet.m4 from gnet-1.1.0 with the
gnet-1.0.4, but I think it should work okay.