Re: [gmime-devel] gmime 3.2.0!

Hi Daniel,

On 1/18/2018 12:15 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
hey Jeff and other GMime folks--

i just noticed that GMime 3.2.0 is tagged and released.  sorry i missed
it!  Would it be possible to send out an announcement to the list when
new releases are made?

I'll try to do that from now on. There's an automated script that sends out an email to the desktop-devel-list when I publish a new release, but you're probably not on that. It also doesn't really say anything other than what the new version is ;-)

Also, about the version numbering -- 2.4 to 2.6 was an API/ABI break, as
was 2.6 to 3.0.  Do we expect 3.2.0 to be backward compatible with 3.0?

Yea, I'm trying to avoid major API/ABI changes in 3.x so I don't have to repeat the whole 2.0 -> 2.2 -> 2.4 -> 2.6 pain.

Next time I introduce API/ABI breakages will be 4.0 (for which there are no plans at this point).

Whenever (significant?) API gets added, my plan is to bump the minor version number. In this case, the 3.2.0 version bump from 3.0.x is due to the Warning stuff that Albrecht added (thanks for the enum catch, btw). For example, I haven't decided if adding an enum value to the Warning stuff that Albrecht is working on warrants a minor version bump every time since it's in a somewhat experimental phase and I doubt anyone but him is using it. That said, for sure any new enum values should be added to the end and not into the middle so that if anyone were to use the API, their program won't get confused. I'm not going to rush pushing out the next release, so hopefully Albrecht will have time to figure out any other enums he wants to add before then ;-)

I wasn't very strict in doing this during the first few releases of 3.0.x (IOW I should have probably bumped to 3.2.0 when the Autocrypt stuff got added, but that's 20/20 hindsight now). I'm going to try to be more consistent about this going forward, though.

I'm hoping so -- i'd like to package it for a smooth migration in debian
and ABI/API breaks are always more complicated :)

It should be smooth. There *might* have been some Autocrypt API changes between 3.0.2 and 3.2.0, but I figure no one was really using that except maybe NotMuch and you've likely kept that in sync. We'll pretend that Autocrypt before 3.2.0 was "experimental" :)

Hope that answers your questions,