Re: [gmime-devel] 2.6.21 release

On 12/12/2016 7:02 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
Hi Jeff, and other gmime folks--

thanks for the release of 2.6.21, which i see over here:

  https://download.gnome.org/sources/gmime/2.6/

the 2.6.21 tarball i fetched has the following sha256sum:

  e6f40bb3f11b71f8004e7a91d9e20b2abe3898d211d0d815c061121bbcddb54f

I had a few questions:

  * the 2.6.20 tarball includes gmime-2.6.20/gmime/GMime-2.6.metadata,
    but the 2.6.21 tarball does *not* include
    gmime-2.6.21/gmime/GMime-2.6.metadata  -- why is that?  If i build
    from the tarball directly, i see:

          GICOMP   GMime-2.6.gir
       make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'GMime-2.6.metadata', needed by 'gmime-2.6.vapi'.  Stop.

    i can pull it from the git repo, but i don't know why it isn't
    included in the tarball in the first place.  Should i be concerned?

D'oh. I forgot about vala. I just checked and sure enough I never installed vala or vala-devel on my Linux system so vala wasn't found when I made the tarball, so it disabled it I think.

I'll make a 2.6.22 release that includes vala support.

  * the upstream source includes gmime/gmime-application-pkcs7.[ch], but
    those are not shipped in the tarball.  Are they intended to be
    shipped?  or is this code not ready for wider distribution?

Yea, these are not part of the build on purpose. Now that I have a working Linux system, though, I should finish implementing them.

  * I note that there is no tag made on the git repo for 2.6.21.  Based
    on the pattern from previous releases, this would have been tagged as
    GMIME_2_6_21.  But I think i'd asked earlier about switching the
    tagging convention to be something like gmime-2.6.21, since we're not
    using CVS any more :) Would you be up for making a public tag for the
    release?

Just made the GMIME_2_6_21 tag, and yea, I hate that tagging convention. I just use the version # for MimeKit and MailKit on GitHub. How does that sound?

I think I'll also be creating a 2.6.x branch (any preference on naming?) so I can start using master for moving to gpgme (and possibly making some other design changes I've been wanting to do for a while).

I may do gpgme first (call it 2.8?) since that would be valuable on its own and then start bringing some API improvements I did for MimeKit over for 3.0.