[gmime-devel] Malformed name in from/to header results in hang

Hi Jeffrey,

I am working on an application (for internal use) which will archive emails available in eml format. As I need some additional header fields I looked around and found the gmime library.

The first problem was, that I am on Windows and it takes hours to compile all the libraries on which gmime depends. But now everything seems ok, except one thing.

I am able to parse most of our eml files with gmime library but some of them are malformed. The name in the email addresses in "To" and "From" fields contains german umlauts sometimes, which are not encoded.

After debugging it seems that "charset_convert" in gmime-utils.c could not convert the charset.
In line 1516 there is a call to iconv - which consumes all characters in the input buffer until the german umlaut character. Nothing happen with this character and then the while loop around these function running into an infinite loop.

I am not sure whether this is a gmime issue, an iconv issue or an issue in my evironment because of Windows.

Here is my configuration:

gmime - 2.5.8
glib - 2.28.1-1 and then I tried it with 2.20.5-1
libiconv 1.9.1 (because this is the latest version available as Windows binary)

I've attached an email which causes the problem - maybe you are able to reproduce this at your end.

Best regards from Germany

B. Pfennigschmidt

--- Begin Message ---

Dear all,

we are still missing the QCM 3.5 XTension for CopyDesk 3.5 Mac OS 9 !!

Best regards,

Rainer Beuthan
CoDesCo IT Consulting GmbH
Im Hegen 11