Re: Running As Root

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 10:57 +1300, Mike Toews wrote:
Hi,

I'm certain this has been discussed before, but thought I should
revoice it. While evaluating a few database apps for a project, I
thought I'd try glom, as I'm a long time PostgreSQL user. However it
is dead on arrival.

When I try and start it up on my work computer (Win7), glom
immediately shows an error dialog "Running As Root"
You seem to be running Glom as a user with administrator privileges. Glom may not be run with such
privileges for security reasons.
Please login to your system as a normal user."

I don't manage my work computer, IT does, and the security policy is
not not going to change. Other programs on the computer appear to not
mind having administrator privileges, so I don't see why glom needs to
disagree with the security policy, and refuse to run.

The version I tried was downloaded from:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/glom/1.14/glom-setup-1.14.0-1.exe

It's not Glom that creates this requirement - it's PostgreSQL. You
cannot run PostgreSQL locally as an Administrator.

I guess we could have an option in the installer to disable use of local
databases, which is what PostgreSQL is needed for.

The Windows installer is very old anyway, because we are still waiting
for GTK+ 3 binaries for Windows.

--
Murray Cumming