Re: Considering glom but one major hurdle - I don't really want postgresql

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 05:23:53PM +0100, Michael Hasselmann wrote:
On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 15:57 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
I'm quite prepared to dig into the code myself and add the ability to
use other databases.  However I don't want to spend vast amounts of time
on this.  How standard/modular is the database access code and what
language is it written in?  I'm assuming it's written in C/C++ which is
OK by me as I've programmed in C since the 1980's (my job).

The backends are split out from the rest of code, for instance the
connection handling can be found here:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/glom/tree/glom/libglom/connectionpool_backends

Then for most (all?) SQL queries, glom uses libgda which provides the
necessary database abstraction.

There is also an Sqlite example:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/glom/tree/examples/sqlite/test_sqlite_music/test_sqlite_music.glom (notice the
hosting_mode="sqlite").

I am not sure, but I think the limitation with Sqlite was that it can
only be used in self-hosting mode.

Well, if I understand what you mean by "self-hosting mode", then that's
a fact of life with sqlite as the database is just a local file with no
client-server connection.  Access to the database is just handled as
access to a local file would be so it can only be on the same host as
the database 'client'.

For a database which is always going to be associated with a particular
host (which is nearly all home user database usage) it's way more
convenient to use sqlite.  There are no issues with extra user/passwords
needed for the database and no issues with backing up the database as
it's "just another file" in the local data associated with the
application.

I always choose sqlite when I can, I don't think I have *any* database
applications where it wouldn't make things easier.  Even web
applications (which nearly *all* use mySql) work perfectly well with
sqlite as long as they're not so big that one needs to split the web
server away from the database.  On a home LAMP system that's never going
to happen.

When you say "There is also an Sqlite example" do you mean the code is
in place to use sqlite?  Or what do I need to do to try it?

--
Chris Green