Re: Glom on Debian and Mac OSX

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 10:47 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 10:14 +0200, sf pfg dk wrote:
Hi everybody!

I am a new member of the list and got some question about how to
install it on Debian an Mac OSX. I am a Linux user with a little
experience (be kind to forgive the naive questions of mine). I have to
deal with other Mac users, accessing the same data. Glom would be an
easy solution, since we both have previous experience with FileMaker
Pro.

1) How do I install Glom on Debian?
Debian repository do not have Glom yet and I guess that I have to
compile the source file manually. It would be very kind of you to
explain the necessary procedure.

Building Glom from source is much the same as building any other
standard autotools package from source. You'll need to build several
dependencies too. There is no way to make it easy.

You really should request a package from Debian. Ubuntu has packages
that it could use.

In fact, I am surprised that it's not there yet. See the end of this
bug:

2) Is there any possibility to run Glom on Mac OSX?
I wonder if Mac OSX users might compile the source code similarly to
the Linux users, since OSX is a Unix system. But I do not know in
which extent OSX is compatible with GNU Linux.

It should be possible, but probably not that easy until gtkmm has been
built for MacOS X. It's possible now because GTK+ was recently ported to
MacOS X.

3) Have you any plan to port Glom on Mac OSX?
FileMaker Pro is popular among Mac users. Probably some of them will
be happy to have an alternative on GPL license.

Obviously I'd like it, but it's not a priority for me personally. I'd be
happy if someone wanted to pay my company, Openismus, to do it.