Re: Small database - question

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 14:33 +0100, Václav Čermák wrote:
Hi conference :-)

I've stumbled upon Glom and got some question about how to use it. We
have a small organization (charity one) and we keep contacts to our
sponsors where we have (beside contact info) also personal info and
different comments about the contact. Firstly we had it in a Microsoft
Works, recently we've converted it and use Sugar CRM. However, Sugar
is way to big application for our needs and the contact part is not so
user friendly as we'd wish. Upon searching the net I've discovered
Glom which seem to be just the thing we could use.

I hesitate to recommend Glom for really serious use at the moment. Of
course, someone has to be first. But you should realise that you are
using young software that not many other people are using yet.

My question is:
1) When we install it on our office server, can users with different
OS approach data there? (We have Windows, Mac and Ubuntu users.)

We have a Windows installer. It should work well with a server running
on Linux, but I doubt that anybody has tested that.

2) Can those users be logged in simoultaneously and do changes there
at the same time?

In general, there is not perfect support for multiple simultaneous users
now, just due to lack of developer time. For instance, there is no
visual feedback that another user is editing the same record already.

But otherwise it should not be a problem.

3) Can the database be accessed locally and also from outside (via
internet)?

It cannot really be accessed from the internet. I suspect that there
would be serious performance problems. Ther is also no web-based UI yet.

Sorry, if these question are too silly, but the offcial documentation
page didn't open

Could you file a bug, please, with details.

 and I have no knowledge of dealing with databases and related
programming.
I'd be very thankfull for plain, simple answers!
Thanx!

--
Murray Cumming