[glade--]autogen.sh issues

My simple Glade2 Project fails with the following error messages, looking
for automake. I do have automake-1.7 installed and have no problem
building Glade2/C projects on the same machine.

I've figured autogen is somehow confused about which version of
automake I'm using, and that it might be hard-coded somewhere -
though I'm not sure what is the best way do resolve this.

Using Debian/Unstable

Thanks in advance for your help.
Uri

-------------- Additional Info ---------------------
Command: 'automake --version' Returns:

automake (GNU automake) 1.7a
Written by Tom Tromey <tromey redhat com>.

--------------
Command: 'locate automake' Returns (partial listing):

/etc/alternatives/automake
/etc/alternatives/automake.1.gz
/home/etc/alternatives/automake
/home/etc/alternatives/automake.1.gz
/usr/bin/automake
/usr/bin/automake-1.4
/usr/bin/automake-1.7a
/usr/share/automake
/usr/share/automake-1.4
/usr/share/automake-1.4/acinstall
/usr/share/automake-1.4/ansi2knr.1
/usr/share/automake-1.4/ansi2knr.c
-------------- Error Messages --------------

/usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoconf2.50... not found.
  testing autoconf... found 2.59
checking for automake >= 1.5...
  testing automake-1.7... not found.
  testing automake-1.6... not found.
  testing automake-1.5... not found.
***Error***: You must have automake >= 1.5 installed
  to build the package..  Download the appropriate package for from your
  distribution or get the source tarball at
    http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake/automake-1.5.tar.gz

checking for libtool >= 1.5...
  testing libtoolize... found 17
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found 2.2.3
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.15.0
./autogen.sh: line 1: --print-ac-dir: command not found Checking for
required M4 macros...
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...