[glade--]Glademm and pixmaps also custom widgets

I first want to thank everyone who helped me get glademm to work on my Linux machine. However, now that I've gotten my test projects to compile, I've been having an issue with pixmaps. The first issue was with custom pixmaps. When I attempted to compile a program with pixmaps I converted from JPEG, the make would generate the following error:

In file included from GameSetup2_glade.cc:29:
../pixmaps/ChrisDavid.xpm:2: syntax error before `[' token
GameSetup2_glade.cc: In constructor `GameSetup2_glade::GameSetup2_glade()':
GameSetup2_glade.cc:95: `Chris' undeclared (first use this function)
GameSetup2_glade.cc:95: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
  each function it appears in.)
GameSetup2_glade.cc:95: `manage' undeclared (first use this function)
cc1plus: `<declaration error>' is not a function,
/usr/include/sigc++-1.0/sigc++/object.h:143: conflict with `template<class T>
  T* SigC::manage(T*)'
GameSetup2_glade.cc:96:   in call to `manage'
make[2]: *** [GameSetup2_glade.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Virtual/cs_205/gui_12/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Virtual/cs_205/gui_12'
make: *** [all] Error 2

At first I thought it was the fact that the pixmap files had a space in it, so I changed the file names, setup the project with a new name in a new folder, and tried again, but still the same message. I then used a pixmap that came with a program on my Linux machine and it compiled fine. However, when attempting to execute the program, the image does not appear and I get this message:

Gdk---WARNING **: Couldn't create pixmap out of file '../pixmaps/edit.xpm' - using internal default

I heard of having to use "make install" when using gnome support and such, but I ran make and make install and I still get the same message. Again, I tried a new project but I still get the same message. I tried manually copying the pixmap folder to the the bin directory where the project was installed, still no such luck. Is there anyway to get this to work, pixmaps or pictures in general are a big thing for this project. Is there another widget to use, like GTK Image (and how to use it or where I can find out how to use it)?

Another, less pressing matter is custom widgets. To be specific, I am trying to design a widget that is basically a giant grid. Ideally, I want to be able to place objects on the grid, or shade parts of the grid, by clicking on the different squares. However, I need to store the data based on what I do or put on the grid (for now I'll probably be using a multimap from STL). Is there any place I can find out where I can make the widget, so it will return grid coordinates in callbacks based on clicks, and modify each square individually and so forth. I could make a table, but it I have a 40x40 table, I'd need callbacks for each individual square in the table, which is 1600 squares. Hence, one object that returns grid coordinates is a lot easier. I had also wanted to modify grid lines by changing color or thickness at runtime also, but I may just ditch that as that would be too complicated. IF someone could point me in the right direction here as well, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you so much for all your help so far.

Chris