[glade--]Re: [[gtkmm] glademm plans for deprecated widgets (2.0)]

Christof Petig <christof petig-baender de> wrote:
> Glademm 2.0 status:
>
> - glademm reads old and new style project files alike.
> - you can name a Version on the command line for which to generate code
> (otherwise the highest detected version is used)
> - Simple (glade1) project files already generate valid gtkmm2 code (CVS
> version). But glade2 projects need more new widgets supported.
>
> Plan:
> - glademm will change the widget type on the fly (pixmap -> image) (and
> ignore old properties and the like)

I don't understand why you would do this. If the user puts a GtkPixmap on a
glade UI (probably not possible with glade-2) then glademm should
a) Use a GtkPixmap for gtkmm 1.2
b) Fail for gtkmm 2

And vice-versa with a GtkImage. The simple solutions are the best.

> as the API is totally incompatible (IIRC, but
> perhaps I'm wrong).

> but this is not a good idea for
> clist/ctree -> treeview

Yes, they are wildly different.

> Feelings:
> gtkmm2 looks great. The API is much better than gtk--.
> gtk2 is a breakthrough (gtk1 belongs into the trashcan).
>
> We have work to be done, so porting gtk-- -> gtkmm2 is not highest
> priority for us. And glade-- and special widgets (gtk--addons) have to
> be ready to switch. It's a big step (a lot of old (and unmaintainable
> aka unupgradable) installations need gtk2/gtkmm2 compiles for them) and
> if the benefits would not outweight the costs we would not switch this
year.

Are there really so many existing glademm users to support? I get the
impression that lots of people are starting to use it but that they could
start to use a glademm2 instead. It seems like you'd have to do a lot of work
to support both versions at once, and the 2 APIs might not be clearly
differentiated.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com