Re: Glade's GTK 4 plans

On mar, nov 24, 2020 at 23:20, John Scott <jscott posteo net> wrote:
Hello,

Hello John

I've been getting acquainted with GLib and GObject to learn how to use GTK. I've come to the conclusion that at this point, I'd probably be better off learning GTK 4 outright; is that fair to say? The docs on gtk.org just got updated today.

Yes, I think is it in any case both have enough similarities that experience is translatable

It appears Glade is not GTK 4 ready and spewed deprecation warnings when I got to the GtkBuilder part of the tutorial, thinking I was on GTK 2. It makes

Right, Glade only supports GTK3 and there is not much in GtkBuilder format to tell which version is targeting unless you add <requires/> tag

sense that you're probably waiting for the API to stabilize but I couldn't find a bug or GitLab milestone referring to this. I don't think I'll need Glade in the foreseeable future. I'm just curious to know what's going on with it.

Right, once its released I plan to at least add all the deprecation metadata to Glade so you can target version 4 and get a warning if you are using something unsupported in GTK 4

This does not mean that Glade will support all new GTK widgets/features just that you will be able to use the GTK 3 subset of widgets that are supported in GTK 4.

Plans for Glade 4 are fuzzy at this point since it would require a lot of effort and time to port or rewrite and I am only working on this in my free time, which is not much.

Greets

Juan Pablo