[Glade-users] Notebook: new page was inserted without tab

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 3:10 AM, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:30:13 +0900
tristan.van.berkom at gmail.com wrote:

Can you include a small glade file which reproduces this ?

Sounds like some warning from gtkbuilder, maybe with the glade fragment i can figure out what went wrong
on the glade or gtk side.

Hi Tristan,

I just figured it out...

If a page of a notebook is left empty, strange things happen:

  - The message I reported is printed ("Overriding tab label for notebook"). Once all pages are filled, the
errors disappear.

  - The filled page is assigned to the wrong page tab, not entirely intuitively: I had 3 pages, P1, P2 and
P3. P2 was empty, and the contents of P1 appeared as P2 (i.e. with the tab 'P2').

From the GUI xml, I suppose there is no real binding between the page content and
the actual pages, and this happens just by their positions in the xml file?
I know it's probably difficult to fix now, but wouldn't it be practical to
group the the page contents/tab/... in a 'page' element? Rather, was there a
reason not to do it?

The GtkBuilder port of libglade happened in a couple of iterations, most of the
semantics was taken verbatim from libglade and just <widget> changed
for <object>
and some other details (and of course the major gain was that widgets could now
implement GtkBuildable and implement some semantics without needing extra
libglade modules).

Basically my guess is sure, it would have made sense, but was just not done.

This is a long standing known issue however that bites us repeatedly, perhaps
it would be a good idea to implement a child '<page>' parsing semantic in
GtkNotebook proper - without dropping the current support and consequently
breaking existing GtkBuilder xml.

Feel free to propose this as a GTK+ GtkBuilder bug so we can keep this
idea 'on the radar', it's not a bad idea at all.

Best,