[Glade-users] objects properties in a custom catalog

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Alexey
Kurochkin<alexey.kurochkin at pathfinderlwd.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 14:16 -0400, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Alexey
Kurochkin<alexey.kurochkin at pathfinderlwd.com> wrote:
I'm trying to create a catalog with my custom widgets and have couple of
questions:

1. I have some objects which have a property called "name". Glade does
not show that property, although it saves it. Is there a way to force
the "name" property to be shown somewhere?

Interesting, Glade handles "name" as a special case for GtkWidgets and
ties that into the widget id (and the parser equally treats this as a special
case).

In my case these objects ain't GtkWidgets. They are simple GObjects.

[...]

The "Name" entry (which is actually id) is there and works as expected.
It's the actual "name" property I want to be able to edit independently.

[...]
That's exactly what I do not want. That "name" property is used for
different purpose by these objects, not unique and completely
independent from id.

Ok, so if your names should not be unique you cant use the workaround
I suggested, sure.

As I said, the name not showing up for your object is bug, feel free
to file it.

I did not find the reason for the bug at a quick glance, I assure you
there is no deep reasoning for it not to work, just a special case that
needs to be tracked down probably in the plugin (from my pov, I
special case GtkWidget by disabling the name property explicitly).

Anyway, no point to bla bla bla about this, its just a bug.

This would ofcourse only be satisfactory if its ok that your objects
all receive a unique "name" value; otherwise feel free to file a bug
about why we are not picking up the "name" property...

I understand that it probably was not a good idea to name the property
"name", but on the other hand I don't really get it why GtkWidgets are
treated differently from any other GObject and their "name" property is
being bounded to the id, when all other objects survive perfectly fine
without even having that property. According to the docs the purpose of
the "name" property is to apply certain style from gtkrc to the widget,
which implies that it does not have to be unique, rather otherwise. Now
GtkBuilder for no particular reason hijacks the property forcing it to
be set to the unique id, completely defeating the purpose. I'm afraid
this rather unfortunate bug has to be filed against gtk. Correct me if
my logic is flawed.

I think it might work out of the box already, GtkBuilder applies the
id to all widgets
via GtkBuildable; GtkWidgets sync the id to the name property.

But that doesnt mean that this type of construct:

  <object class="GtkButton" id="ok_button">
     <property name="name">standard_button</property>

... would not be valid.

Glade never handled a separate name but if the above proves
to work theres no reason why we couldnt add a "theme name" property
or such to explicitly set the name.