[Glade-users] adding custom widgets written with Gtkmm

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Tristan Wibberley
<tristan at wibberley.org> wrote:
[...]
glade is calling my init-function and my tests show that double init
does not break in a simple case.

glade is calling gtkmm___custom_object_mywidget_get_type

glade is not calling gtkmm___custom_object_mywidget_new but instead it
seems to be making the object in some other way that doesn't call the
object's constructor so doesn't set the NO_WINDOW flag or any other
necessary part.

I've looked into this, and it looks like a gtkmm widget cannot be
created with gtk_type_new, so I'm going to try writing a real gtk widget
adhering to the requirements of a gtk widget including support for
gtk_type_new, then make that widget have-a gtkmm custom widget which it
will forward all signals to. Hopefully that will work. I'm not sure how
to indicate that all signals should be forwarded but I'm hoping it can
be done.

Ok,
   sounds like the logical thing you might try from the app programmers pov,
but its not livable as a long term solution - I think what we need to do from
glade is add a glade_widget_adaptor_construct_object (adaptor, GType type)
to allow the plugin module to do the g_object_new() for us - this way we
can offer the same routine from a support c++ module - allowing us to
create the widgets as c++ objects and just returning the wrapped GObject.

One problem I can see might be if the c++ object is somehow owner of
the GObject - we need to create the c++ object in a way that it will
die when the GObject dies (bu refcount), and not when it goes out of
scope in the plugin (probably just a matter of adding an extra ref ?)

Can you checkout glade3 from trunk ? I can add a backend
object-constructor-function
for your testing purposes, this part would be a sinch for me...