[Glade-users] "Dead" widgets like the ones created in Glade

Fabricio Rocha wrote:

Hi all,

      This is a question which might be intended to the Glade-developers
list, but it might sound somewhat silly there and will not contribute to
the development of Glade itself.

      Does anyone know how exactly does work the placement of widgets in a
form, like Glade does? I tried to read the source code, but could not
guess it. For example, how to get those little squares and a border
around a widget to allow resizing them with the mouse? How can someone
get this effect of dragging a widget in the form, or having a label text
altered "live" while writing this text in a GtkEntry in other form?

      Please understand that I am not trying to know implementation details
for each of those features -- "use GtkDoThat here, loop through that,
etc" --, even though details would be surely greatly appreciated. It is
more something like what approach to use in GTK if I wanted to create
something like a form designer, in a few lines. Is it simply a question
of manipulating the signals and handlers, or does it require the
creation of new components and direct Gdk use? Glade, just like most of
the software available, is not well documentated about this.

This should give you an idea of how we do that in glade3:
    http://gnome.org/~tvb/glade_api/GladeFixed.html

The implementation is specific to the container, container packing
properties
always decide how a child is placed in its parent container.