[Glade-users] Best Practice for Glade.XML - open/close new window

Travis Staloch wrote:

Tristan,

Thanks for your help.  I've modified my code so that all of the windows are opened up at startup and then
hidden/shown as needed.  This seems alot snappier than before and has helped in that regard.  However, it
has caused a couple of problems.  The first, a minor problem, is that you can see all of the windows open up
for a split second and then hide at startup.  Here's how each  window now gets created at init.  I'm keeping
Gtk.Window references to each of the windows using this method:

protected Gtk.Window getWindowHandle(string sWindowName)
{
 Glade.XML gxml = new Glade.XML(sPATH_TO_GLADE_XML,sWindowName, null);
 gxml.Autoconnect (this);
 Gtk.Window wnd = (Gtk.Window)gxml.GetWidget(sWindowName);
 wnd.HideAll();
 gxml.Dispose();
 return wnd;
}

Is there a better way to create these windows, especially one that keeps them from being initially shown?

Set the visible property of the window to false in the glade editor.

Also, is there a better way to use the Glade.XML rather than creating/destroying for each window I want to
open?  Can I reuse the same Glade.XML and ask it for different windows?

No, libglade doesnt do that, gtk builder plans to though.

The second problem is that some of control references don't seem to work now.  I believe that the problem
results from having named all my back and next buttons the same (btnBack, btnNext).  And now that I've
Autoconnect()ed to each of the windows consecutively, the last in the list is the only one which remains
connected.  Does that sound right?

No, signals are implicitly attached to the object without any name
reference, and if you are
only parsing one hierarchy at a time, then there is no conflict in your
namespace.

I am drawing a blank on this one for the moment.