[Glade-users] glade 2.0.1 open .glade file skips width_request and height_request

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_5936_1094664857_0

-------------- Original message from Damon Chaplin : --------------

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 00:00, Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
Ok, well, don't laugh too hard when you look at it... :-)

I still can't see any problem here. The widths & heights are loaded &
saved OK.

Note that the button box widget will force all the buttons inside it to
be the same size, so this may be confusing you.
Why are you setting the sizes?

Damon

I'm thinking we are not on the same page.  Note that this thread is
not about fixing my application.  It is about a designer bug that I ran
into while experimenting/learning with glade.  It is not about a bug
in the compiled code.  The sizes appear to be compiled properly if
they are in the .glade file.  This is not what I am talking about.

What I am talking about is if you use the designer's properties box to
put sizes on the button box and on buttons inside the button box, the
.glade file will be like what I sent you.  The problem is that if I save
the project (create the .glade file with the designer), shutdown the
designer, restart the designer, open the project (.glade file), and look
at the properties of the button boxes and buttons inside of the button
boxes, the sizes are no longer shown in the designer's property dialog
even though they are in the .glade file.  I can send screen shots if this
is still not clear.

When this happens, if I change the button in the designer's property
dialog, the sizes are removed by the designer unless I manually re-enter
them in the properties dialog.  Then, if I forget to re-input the sizes, and
I re-save the project (update the .glade file), the .glade file has the sizes
removed from it (which of course, is correct if you assume that the save
action stores the current settings of the properties into the .glade file).

This means I must do all my edits in the designer the first time, and
not save the project and come back later and be able to expect that
the designer will recover all of the properties I had previously set up.

---

I didn't expect anyone to help me figure out what I was doing in the
test application.  I am just getting into "GUI" programming, and was
trying out glade to see if I felt like it was something I might want to
learn on.  I had already done a bit with Borland C++ Builder and QT
Designer.  But, since you ask, and since it might help me learn glade,
here goes:

Why am I setting the sizes?  Because I don't know what I am doing
very likely, but the reasoning is as follows:

I did not expect a non-sensitivity of a button to affect the button
placement since I had allocated specific slots for the buttons.  I
had three buttons in a button bar, and they were insensitive so
that they could not be seen.  (Ok, yes, I know this is not exactly
main stream, but there was a valid reason at the time - considering
the test application was kind of like an interactive "card" for my
wife.  You know, working on the computer, but doing something
she will like...  :-)  The buttons were supposed to be "surprises",
therefore the greying out was inadequate.

I set the sizes in an (unsuccessful) attempt to cause the buttons to
have a size even if they were non-sensitive.

I could probably go about solving this problem another way - by
leaving the buttons caption-less until an appropriate moment at
run-time, so this thread was not really meant to be about solving
that "problem".) The code would cause the buttons to be sensitive
at different times.  The effect was that the buttons would slide
around as other buttons in the box were changed to be sensitive.
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_5936_1094664857_0

<!-- BEGIN WEBMAIL STATIONERY -->
<head><style type='text/css'>
p {
margin: 0px;
}
<!-- WEBMAIL STATIONERY noneset -->
<P>-------------- Original message from Damon Chaplin <DAMON KARUNA UKLINUX NET>: -------------- <BR><BR>&gt;
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 00:00, Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote: <BR>&gt; &gt; Ok, well, don't laugh too hard when you
look at it... :-) <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I still can't see any problem here. The widths &amp; heights are loaded
&amp; <BR>&gt; saved OK. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Note that the button box widget will force all the buttons inside
it to <BR>&gt; be the same size, so this may be confusing you. <BR>&gt; Why are you setting the sizes?
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Damon</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm thinking we are not on the same page.&nbsp; Note that this thread is</P>
<P>not about fixing my application.&nbsp; It is about a designer bug that I ran</P>
<P>into while experimenting/learning with glade.&nbsp; It is not about a bug</P>
<P>in the compiled code.&nbsp; The sizes appear to be compiled properly if</P>
<P>they are in the .glade file.&nbsp; This is not what I am talking about.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>What I am talking about is if you use the designer's properties box to</P>
<P>put sizes on the button box and on buttons inside the button box, the</P>
<P>.glade file will be like what I sent you.&nbsp; The problem is that if I save</P>
<P>the project (create the .glade file with the designer), shutdown the</P>
<P>designer, restart the designer, open the project (.glade file), and look</P>
<P>at the properties of the button boxes and buttons inside of the button</P>
<P>boxes, the sizes are no longer shown in the designer's property dialog</P>
<P>even though they are in the .glade file.&nbsp; I can send screen shots if&nbsp;this</P>
<P>is still not clear.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>When this happens, if I change the button in the designer's property</P>
<P>dialog, the sizes are removed by the designer unless I manually re-enter</P>
<P>them in the properties dialog.&nbsp; Then, if I forget to re-input the sizes, and</P>
<P>I re-save the project (update the .glade file), the .glade file has the sizes</P>
<P>removed from it (which of course, is correct if you assume that the save</P>
<P>action stores the current settings of the properties into the .glade file).</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>This means I must do all my edits in the designer the first time, and</P>
<P>not save the project and come back later and be able to expect that</P>
<P>the designer will recover all of the properties I had previously set up.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>---</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I didn't expect anyone to help me figure out what I was doing in the</P>
<P>test application.&nbsp; I am just getting into "GUI" programming, and&nbsp;was</P>
<P>trying out glade to see if I felt like it was something I might want to</P>
<P>learn on.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had already done a bit with Borland C++ Builder and QT</P>
<P>Designer.&nbsp; But, since you ask, and since it might help me learn glade,</P>
<P>here goes:</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Why am I setting the sizes?&nbsp; Because I don't know what I am doing</P>
<P>very likely, but the reasoning is as follows:</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I did not expect a non-sensitivity of a&nbsp;button to affect the button</P>
<P>placement since I&nbsp;had allocated specific slots for the buttons.&nbsp; I</P>
<P>had three buttons in&nbsp;a button bar, and they were insensitive so</P>
<P>that they could not be seen.&nbsp; (Ok, yes, I know this is not exactly</P>
<P>main stream, but there was a&nbsp;valid reason at the time - considering</P>
<P>the test application was kind of like an interactive "card" for my</P>
<P>wife.&nbsp; You know, working on the computer, but doing something</P>
<P>she will like...&nbsp; :-)&nbsp; The buttons were supposed to be "surprises",</P>
<P>therefore the greying out was inadequate.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I set the sizes in an (unsuccessful) attempt to cause the buttons to</P>
<P>have a size even if they were non-sensitive.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I could probably go about solving this problem another way - by</P>
<P>leaving the buttons caption-less until an appropriate moment at</P>
<P>run-time, so this thread was not really meant to be about solving</P>
<P>that "problem".) The code would cause the buttons to be sensitive</P>
<P>at different times.&nbsp; The effect was that the buttons would slide</P>
<P>around as other buttons in the box were changed to be sensitive.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<!-- END WEBMAIL STATIONERY -->

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_5936_1094664857_0--