[Glade-users] Unable to see child widgets

I have a project that appears to be stored correctly in the .glade file and
libglade can read it correctly.  When I bring it up in glade, however, I
cannot see some of the more nested widgets.  The following is the structure
of my widgets (copied from the .glade file, indentations indicating nesting):

<widget class="GtkWindow" id="windowMain">
    <widget class="GtkVBox" id="vbox1">
        <widget class="GtkMenuBar" id="menubar1">
            <snip menu because it's probably irrelavent to the question>
        <widget class="GtkNotebook" id="notebook1">
            <widget class="GtkHPaned" id="hpaned1">
                <widget class="GtkVBox" id="vbox2">
                    <widget class="GtkToolbar" id="toolbar2">
                        <widget class="button" id="buttonContactFolderAdd">
                        <widget class="button" id="buttonContactFolderDelete">
                    <widget class="GtkScrolledWindow" id="scrolledwindow5">
                        <widget class="GtkTreeView" id="treeviewContactFolders">
            <widget class="GtkLabel" id="notebookContacts">
            <widget class="GtkLabel" id="labelTBD">
            <widget class="GtkLabel" id="TDB">

The problem is that the most nested widget I can see is hpaned1.  Since it is
not apparent here, the second widget in my hpaned1 is currently
        <child>
                <placeholder/>
        </child>

Is this a bug or is there some way to drill down further that I have missed.

TIA,

Eric