[Glade-users] newbie: making system calls from GUI

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Joachim Backes wrote:

On 06-Feb-2003 Manu C S wrote:

 For example, if I want to launch a browser from my gui
 when a user clicks on a certain button, should I have this in
 the callback function of that button:
     system("mozilla");
 Is that correct?
 How do I handle commands that write to stdout?

Use the "popen()" system call.

For whatever reason, when I ported my application to Gnome2/GTK2 this
stopped working. I needed to (synchronously) run a simple program and read
its stdout to a buffer. For some reason this started to fail sporadicly
with "interrupted system call" messages...

So, I dug up the API documents and the GLib helper function g_spawn_sync()
was just what I needed...

See:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Spawning-Processes.html

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  oh2bns sral fi
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     oh2bns oh2rbi fin eu