[Glade-users] New to Linux dev - roadblock in autogen.sh

Red hat 8.0
Glade 0.6.4

I'm working through the "Starting off in Glade" tutorial at
http://www.geocities.com/ichattopadhyaya/linux/glade.htm, and I'm
running into a problem when I run autogen.sh , preparatory to build the
project.

I receive a message "please use AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])" but no clue
as to whether I am to coat it in coconut oil and ignite it, place it in
my ear, or both!

A little grepping around finds
AM_GNU_GETTEXT
on a line by itself on config.in - but adding
([external]) to it does nothing useful.

Clearly this is something that everybody knows - but what?

- Ed Kaulakis
linux noob