[Glade-users] Display Updates with muti-threads

I am having trouble with display updates.
I want to update a text window and a progress bar
once per second with new data.
I have written a routine that changes the
data then calls gtk_widget_show_all(display) or
gtk_widget_show(display).
These display
routines are in a different thread created by
the main thread that owns the GUI.

The problem is that the display still does not update
unless I move the mouse somewhere on the window.
Is this due to the fact that a different thread
created the window than the one requesting gtk_widget_show?
If so, how do I fix this. Do I have to somehow signal the
base thread and have it issue the gtk_widget_show command
itself?

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
J Deas