[Glade-users] libglade - connecting signals

Andrae,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering whether this might have
something to do with gmodule because I read something about
that in the Libglade Reference Manual.

However, the little sample program that I'm using is really
just C code compiled with a C++ compiler because I was trying
to demonstrate that I could use Libglade with C++. If I compile
it with a C compiler I still have the same problem. So I'm
left where I started.

BTW, do you know where I could look to get some info on
how to add C++ name-mangling support to gmodule? This
doesn't sound very trivial.

Regards,
Dean

Andrae Muys wrote:

Dean Schumacher wrote:

Hello.

I've been trying to use Libglade to automatically connect signal
handlers in my C++ code, but the glade_xml_signal_autoconnect
function is not working.

So I decided to try to connect the signal handlers manually
using glade_xml_signal_connect (instead of autoconnect) as
shown:

glade_xml_signal_connect(xml, "on_about1_activate",
        GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(on_about1_activate));

This doesn't work either. I get no error message, but the
signal handler isn't connected. Selecting the Help->About
menu option does nothing, when it should be calling my
signal handler to display a Help About window.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong with my
environment or what libraries might not be built with the
correct support, or whatever. I have no idea where to look.

Ahhh I was going to reply to this the other day, but I ran out of time.

I would guess that you are being caught out by C++'s name mangling.
libglade's introspection is based on gmodule, which is based on libdl.
This allows you to search the current processes symbol table for a given
symbol and extract the associated pointer reference.  All very funky and
cool, and I'm using the same facilities in developing the plugin
infrastructure for Glade.  However there is a problem, in that the
mapping between a C function and it's symbol is very simple (prepend a
_), whereas the name mangling for C++ is a awful mess.

So effectively what this means is, you either have to add C++
name-mangling support to gmodule (and possibly libdl), or you can only
dynamically connect to functions using C linkage.  It's been a while
since I did any C++ at all, however I believe you do this by enclosing
the signature (and function?) with extern "C" { ... } blocks.

Anyway, I remember you still had a problem with the C code I sent you so
there maybe an additional problem unrelated to this.

Andrae Muys

Alcatel USA