Handler: about1_activate
Data: dialog1

dialog1 is a dialog window I have created too..

in the signal handler at handlers.c I have:

void
on_about1_activate                     (GtkMenuItem     *menuitem,
                                        gpointer         user_data)
{
  gtk_widget_show (GTK_WIDGET(user_data));
}

I understand the Data field is what is recieved as a gpointer but if I
compile I get the following:

bash-2.03$ src/gframes

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkWidget'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1424 (gtk_widget_show): assertion
`widget != NULL' failed.

What am I doing wrong? why the data has not be appened in the signal
handlers registration proccess at interface.c (you say I must not to
edit this file):?

What data can I put in the Data field? can not it be other widgets?

You can only use widgets within the same window. (Look at the interface.c
file - the create_XXX() functions know nothing about other windows.)

You have to keep track of pointers to the windows in the interface yourself,
either using global variables or by "attaching" them to parent windows.