[Glade-devel] Why Glade 3 removes unknown elements

Right... that's the last Glade which supports GTK+2.x

Actually Glade >= 3.10 can be used for projects targeting GTK+2 but special
care needs to be taken to avoid using any widgets that are new in GTK+3.

The main reason Glade 3.10 does not support GTK+2 is because Glade >= 3.10
needs to link against GTK+ 3 to provide new widgets and features...

This basically means that Glade >= 3.10 does not have any support for the
removed types which were already deprecated in GTK+ 2.24 (anything
from GTK+2 that is not included in GTK+3, Glade >= 3.10 does not support).

The feature you are looking for was only ever added to Glade as of 3.14.0
(I searched for it and found it in these notes:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glade/3.14/glade-3.14.0.news)

Since 3.8.x is intended to be supported in the long(ish) term, we do fix bugs
in 3.8 because people need it to work on GTK+2 projects, introducing such
a feature into 3.8 is a kindof grey area (we don't intend to add features to
Glade 3.8.x, just fix bugs, but this feature is perhaps worth backporting).

However, our focus is on delivering the next stable Glade 3.16, and I can't
promise that I will have time to backport that feature... as more people
are switching to GTK+ 3 for new projects, it's becoming less important
(but not less demanding) to pay attention to the old 3.8 branch.

Also... are you sure fedora doesnt have a more recent version ?

Note that Glade 3.8 & Glade 3.14 are parallel installable, this was
ensured so that people can use an older Glade on the same system
to edit GTK+2 based Glade projects as well as newer projects which
use GTK+3.