[Glade-devel] please help: bug: glade2 file conversion to glade3 failed

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <
tristan.van.berkom at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello.

Glade does not come with any conversion script.

Well, apparently the script comes from a package
called libglade2-dev as the following output shows:

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/bin/libglade-convert
libglade2-dev: /usr/bin/libglade-convert

The list of files which are part of this ubuntu package
are the following which seem to include version 2 of
a static library called libglade which I presume is
used to create executable files which parse a
glade XML file when run. The list is reported
below:

$ dpkg-query -L libglade2-dev
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/examples
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/examples/bonobo.glade
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/examples/simple.glade.gz
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/examples/first.glade
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/examples/example.glade.gz
/usr/share/doc-base
/usr/share/doc-base/libglade2-dev
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/libglade-convert.1.gz
/usr/share/gtk-doc
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/GladeXML.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/home.png
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/index.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/index.sgml
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/left.png
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-Libglade-Build.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-Libglade-Initialisation.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-Libglade-SAX-Parser.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-dtd-exceptions.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-dtd.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-embedding.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-extending.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-i18n.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-lib.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-modules.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade-notes.html
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade.devhelp
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/libglade.devhelp2
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/right.png
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/style.css
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libglade/up.png
/usr/include
/usr/include/libglade-2.0
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade/glade.h
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade/glade-init.h
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade/glade-xml.h
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade/glade-build.h
/usr/include/libglade-2.0/glade/glade-parser.h
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libglade-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libglade-2.0.la
/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libglade-2.0.pc
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/libglade-convert
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/README
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libglade2-dev/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so
$

However when I look at the list of installed packages
related to glade I get the all of the following:

BEGIN OUTPUT +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

$ dpkg-query -l '*glade*'

Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name
Version                                  Description
+++-========================================-========================================-================================================================================================
un  glade
<none>                                   (no description available)
ii  glade-3
3.6.3-0ubuntu1                           GTK+ 2 User Interface Builder
un  glade-gnome
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  glade-gnome-3
<none>                                   (no description available)
ii  libglade2-0
1:2.6.4-1                                library to load .glade files at
runtime
ii  libglade2-dev
1:2.6.4-1                                development files for libglade
ii  libglade2.0-cil
2.12.8-2                                 CLI binding for the Glade libraries
2.6
un  libgladeui-1-1
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-2
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-3
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-4
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-5
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-7
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  libgladeui-1-8
<none>                                   (no description available)
ii  libgladeui-1-9
3.6.3-0ubuntu1                           GTK+ User Interface Build core
library
un  python-glade
<none>                                   (no description available)
ii  python-glade2
2.14.1-1ubuntu1                          GTK+ bindings: Glade support
un  python2.3-glade2
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  python2.4-glade2
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  python2.5-glade2
<none>                                   (no description available)
un  python2.6-glade2
<none>                                   (no description available)

END OUTPUT +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am puzzled with the fact that on the download site there are only
these two directories which seem pertinent to modern glade /
libglade development but there is no libgladeui package. So
I do not understand what the difference is between libglade
and libgladeui. What is libgladeui?

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glade3/3.6/
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libglade/2.6/

Just make sure you have the gnome plugin for Glade installed
on your system and then try to load the file directly in Glade.

Well, as far as I remember I do not remember using any
gnome-specific widgets which are not part of GTK inside
my glade 2 XML file but I am going to try your suggestion
just in case...

$ sudo apt-get install glade-gnome

No luck with this, as after such apt-get installation I still
get the same error messages when trying to use
libglade-convert to convert my glade 2 XML file
to a glade 3 XML file.

So let us try and install glade-gnome-2 instead...

$ sudo apt-get install glade-gnome-2

And let us also try and install glade-gnome-3 ...

$ sudo apt-get install glade-gnome-3

Well, even after these installs I still get the
same error message when I try to convert
my glade 2 XML file to a glade 3 XML file,
exactly the same as reported originally.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1212, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1209, in main
    handle_file(args[0])
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1172, in handle_file
    check_widget(widgetdef, requireslist)
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1148, in check_widget
    elif widget['class'][:5] == 'Gnome' and 'gnome' not in requirelist:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

From there, you will probably want to use GtkBuilder, for
that you will first have to figure out how to eliminate the
deprecated libgnomeui widgets from your project, then
convert the project format in the preferences.

What exactly is libgnomeui? I am stuck and I am not sure
about how to proceed with the XML glade 2 file conversion
to glade 3 XML.

Thank you for your help
with the conversion,

Saku

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Saku Masukita
<sakumasukita at googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am running ubuntu 9.04 and wanted to use glade
so I ran the following command at a shell prompt:

$ sudo apt-get install glade-3

I have an old glade2 file from November of 2004
and would like to convert it to the glade3 file format
but for whatever reason the python conversion tool
which comes with glade3 is failing to work.

$ libglade-convert foo.glade
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1212, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1209, in main
    handle_file(args[0])
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1172, in handle_file
    check_widget(widgetdef, requireslist)
  File "/usr/bin/libglade-convert", line 1148, in check_widget
    elif widget['class'][:5] == 'Gnome' and 'gnome' not in requirelist:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

I am not sure what is causing this.

The glade 2 file which is causing these errors can be found at:

http://whm.sourceforge.net/foo.glade

Thank you for your help,

Hopefully libglade-converter can be fixed to address this problem,

Thanks,

Saku Masukita

Glade-devel maillist  -  Glade-devel at lists.ximian.com