[Glade-devel] glade & gsettings

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Tristan Van
Berkom<tristan.van.berkom at gmail.com> wrote:
One important detail is that you should expose the widget
not as a dialog, but as a widget proper (possibly could come
with a utility function to fire a dialog, but that could be coded
into the core).

Will do.

? - In the binding editor:

the binding editor at the moment is just a treeview in a dialog with a
'remove' button. properties are added to the treeview when you go
"connect to setting" from a context menu on the property in the
inspector.

? ? ? ? - properties that are insensitive/disabled cannot be bound; a
text or tooltip
? ? ? ? ? explaining why it cannot be bound should show up (this text
is generically
? ? ? ? ? accessible on GladeProperty instances)

okay, i already don't allow binding packing props for example

? ? ? ? - properties that are invisible should not even show up.
i don't think is is relevant given the fact that properties only
appear in the editor when first bound

? ? ? ? - properties that are in the future from the target project
version should
? ? ? ? ? show a warning icon/text (also generically accessible).

i'm not sure what you mean here .. :(

Its also important to note that glade_project_verify() codepaths still need to
produce expectable results - that means when saving a project that binds
properties outside of the target toolkit version range - the error explaining
why should still popup.

will look into this.

Also, now that a GladeProperty can be bindable, I suppose this adds api
to GladeProperty (and then similar api to GladeCommand), how is the binding
data to be saved (as a new attribute to the <property> tag) ?

yes it does. the bindings will be saved (this isn't implemented in
glade but is in gtkbuilder) as a "setting" attribute on the <property>
tag. The top of the .ui file has a declaration such as <settings
schema="org.gnome.foo" path="/apps/frobozz/" /> which I just realised
will also need to be exposed in GLADE somewhere .. I guess in the
project settings, since this is a global thing.

In an abstract way, lets say that this changes the nature of GladeProperty
from a single state object, to a concurrent state object, this may present some
problems in the core, we have to brainstorm a little together about how this is
going to fit in...

Consider that from the POV of the plugin, a GladeProperty represents the
value assigned to a property - this property is not serialized if its
at the default
value (unless specified as "save-always") - a property can also have
i18n metadata
on it, but that data is useless when the property is default (i.e. we
dont save empty
strings just to say that they are translatable and give context), so
you can safely
say that a default property is unset and meaningless.

So,... you can bet that the plugin already makes assumptions in a few places
about a property being default or not, as specially at load time to decide
configuration modes of buttons and images etc, at the same time changing
the behavior and return value of glade_property_orig_default() should be out
of the question.

It would be possible to split up the data or maintain a separate list on
the GladeWidget that points to the bound properties - but I think I would
at this point rather live with some minor api breakage than the convoluted
complex code that may result in separating those datum.

I don't really understand the problem here. The value of a property
inside GLADE is unaffected by whether it's bound to a setting or not,
surely? sorry if I'm missing the point totally but I can't quite get
my head around this :)

Well anyway, Im eager to hear your thoughts about how to address this
area, it might help if you came up with the new apis for GladeProperty
or GladeWidget and proposed them here for discussion.

will post these tomorrow (tired now :)

sam