[Glade-devel] Future of Custom Widget

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 00:22 -0300, Arthur Maciel wrote:
Hi there.

I?m new to the list and would like to know two things:

1) Do you intend to let 'Custom' widget to be in the future Glade
releases? I?ve seen that in Glade 3 it is placed as GTK+ Obsolete, but
this widget is really what I need for some 'hacks' for my Gtkmm
program and I?ve based some part of my program on it. I have to be
sincere that I don?t feel able at the moment to create my own widget
to be loaded by Glade. Maybe in the future.

First, I wonder if you read my blog post[1] that describes how
this makes integrating custom widget types easier, and from
the libglade point of view, loading a custom type is really only
a matter of calling glade_register_widget() before calling
glade_xml_new() (then again, maybe this is a little more difficult
when using gtkmm for some reason ?)

That being said, we put the old hacked out "custom" widget support
in the "obsolete" group because we believe better alternatives
exist now, I'm not really planning on removing that support
for old glade files though - maybe in some distant future.

2) Can I sell my Gtkmm program (with closed source) considering that
it loads .glade files and process it and that Glade is released under
GPL? The team I work for want this to happen.

Yes you can, the codebase is protected by GPL not the xml file :)
(note ofcourse libglade is distributed under LGPL)

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/tvb/2007/07/25/some-popular-features/