[Glade-devel] Window width and height request

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 16:35 -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Yes we planned on that feature, but it had to be reimplemented - we knew
this from the start - thats why I'm saying temporary, it was temporarily
included at the time "as is" - but "as is" was altogether unacceptable
because it changes properties without notifying the user (not to
mention that the actual window resizing was driven by the properties
themselves - however that is fixed now).

There was nothing wrong with the resizing being driven by
glade_widget_set_property(), it killed two birds with one stone. The
call allowed me to update the property editor and set the default size
at the same time. Just because the implementation looked overly simple
does not mean the implementation was necessarily wrong ;)

Consider that if the user wants to save a toplevel without specifying
a default-width/height (i.e. "the normal use case") - the user has to be
especially carefull to never resize the window in the workspace - or to
always remember to disable those properties before saving - sorry but
thats not an option.

OK, well that's a good point, and Murray seems to concur. Looks like I
will concur as well.

If the user went and explicitly checked the box enableing the
width/height-request properties - we must assume the user knows
what they are doing - also consider that ultimately toplevels in
the workspace are not nescisarily GtkWindows (thats just a current
shortcomming)

I still think it does not make sense for the user to set the
width/height request by resizing the window/widget. The resizing feature
is good, it allows you to test packing options, and to adjust the
default size. But making it do more, especially with the modal algorithm
you described, just makes things more complex from code and usability
perspectives.

cheers,

Vincent