[Glade-devel] [glade-3] minor GUI issues

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 21:55 +0200, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
 o Do we want to set the initial positions on windows like
in glade-2?
   Currently they appear anywhere, not really in useful positions.
   (Ideally we'd save window positions between sessions, but I don't
   think there is a standard way of doing that yet. Maybe later.)

IMHO the positions should not be hardcoded and if they do not
appear in useful positions I'd consider that a bug in the
WM... in practice however it may make sense.
To save the window positions all the other apps I know of use
gconf, but we currently do not depend on it.

In this issue I'm with Damon. Maybe you can somewhat put the blame in the
WM, but I don't know if it has enough hints from the application to do a
good job. After all, the entity with the best knowledge about the role of
each window is the application itself. The WM knows better about what are
the other visible windows, but I think that the app knowledge gives a better
positioning than the WM knowledge (at least I've always prefered the glade-2
positioning to the glade-3 one with metacity and with windows' WM).

As a matter of fact my comment was of the kind "In an ideal
world..." ;-)
What I don't like much is the hardcoding of the positions... how that
play with different resolutions, xinerama, etc?

Anyway I think this is a non-issue if we are ok addind a gconf dep (and
hopefully have similar capability on Windows): the user would have to
place the windows to his taste just the first time, then the position he
used are stored for next times.

By the way, do you think we also should store which tools he currently
has open (for instance if he hid the editor and showed the project tree
view) or should we always start with the palette and the editor on and
with the project view and the clipboard off?

 o I think the dialogs for setting up widgets (e.g. table rows/cols)
   should appear where the mouse is, not the middle of the screen.

I'm not convinced about this... I'd find it more intuitive if
it appeared positioned over the widget it refers to.

That can be hard, as the widget has not yet been created when you show this
dialog box.

Yep... for vboxes etc placing at the mouse pointer would work ok since
you just clicked where you want to place the widget. I was thinking
about the GtkDialog widget: in that case the mouse pointer is over the
palette. Oh well, I'm fine either way.

ciao
        paolo