[Glade-devel] libglade usage

On 10/01/04 00:19, Dragon Master wrote:

Autoconnect does not work in GTK 1.2 on Windows. I ported libglade 0.17

to Windows, and manual connect worked, so I know it wasn't a symbol export
problem, but autoconnect never worked.  I don't know what works in GTK
2.x on Windows.

The manual signal connection functions do not make use of dynamic symbol
export, so manual connect working and autoconnect failing would indicate
that there _is_ a signal export problem.  Whether it can be solved or
not, is another matter.

The code for performing signal autoconnection hasn't changed
substantially since 0.17, so if things work with 2.0 it is more likely
due to improvements in glib's gmodule code.

If it is reliable, are the other glade_xml_connect_* functions really
necessary any more? Why would you use them? I think this needs to be
documented better.

Quite aside from the not-working-on-all-platforms problem, I've seen
applications that modified callback chains on the fly to change
application behavior.  This technique has some advantages and depends on
glade_xml_connect_*, so those functions should not be removed.

There is no plan to remove the manual connect functions.  If libglade
could only perform connections based on dynamic symbol lookup, then it
would be useless to language bindings (and as it happens, I care about
language bindings :)

James.

--
Email: james daa com au