[Glade-devel] Embedding glade in other applications (like IDE )

Murray wrote:

I'm sure people would appreciate a list of
A) What glade-3 does/will do better than glade-2.
B) What still needs to be fixed/implemented to make glade-3
at least as
usable as glade-2.
and
C) Tarball releases.

With regard to A and B, during the holidays I put together a simple
page explaining that stuff and with links to the relevant bugzilla
entries and to the TODO file on cvs.gnome.org/bonsai.

http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/glade3/TODO

I sent it to Damon asking to including it in
glade.gnome.org; probably
he hasn't had the time to look at it yet. Anyway I'm also
attaching it
here.

Thanks.

The thing about runtime-pluggable extensions for extra
widgets doesn't sound different than what glade-2 does, but I
don't know the system very well.

AFAIK, glade-2 supported widgets are defined at compilation time, but
supported glade-3 widgets are defined at runtime.  You can add
special/minority widgets (as an OpenGL widget, etc.) without changing
glade-3.

If nobody steps us to help with TODO items, it might help to
suggested where in the code people might start hacking. Is
the menu editing just a bit broken or does it need a complete rewrite?

I copied it verbatim from glade-2, and didn't finished the port.  AFAIR it
was working for plain menus (only with the toplevel menu entries).  Maybe we
should just wait for Damon to finish the glade-2 support of gtk+-2.4 menus
and addapt it to glade-3 :-)

As for the tarball, I also agree that we should put out one
(marking
really clear that it is alpha quality) at least to make some noise.
Last time I asked Joaquin, he preferred to wait that some of the
remaining issues are be fixed.

It intalls in parallel with glade-2 so I don't think it's any
problem if it's useless. By making a release you show more
people that it needs their help and you show more people that
it's near-enough finished that their help can take it that
last few steps to being usable.

I personally prefer to wait, mainly because there is already an app that
does what glade-3 do (glade-2), so there is no much user benefit in having
glade-3 in a packaged form.

Now, all the latest work on glade-3 has been done by Paolo, and I don't want
to impose my opinion on this point.  If he thinks that we're ready for a
release, I don't see any real problem, as far as it's marked that it's alpha
quality with big bold letters.

People will have problems reading all but the simplests .glade files, so it
should be 100% clear that it's targetted to end users.