[Glade-devel] Embedding glade in other applications (like IDE)

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 14:26, Sridhar R wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure whether glade-2 supports this (i.e. using
glade as a widget or component within applications
like IDE).
Somewhere else I saw glade-3 people are working
componetizing glade.

I am actually working on a IDE project.  In that, I
like to use glade as the GUI designer (instead of
reinventing the same wheel).

But the problem is using glade within application.
Also my application is intended to be portable to all
platforms where gtk is portable.

My doubt is how can I use glade-3 within my own IDE
project.  Do glade-3 uses ORBit or something else.  If
so, is that library (eg. ORBit) portable to non-UNIX
systems like MS-Windows?  Well. where can I get
started?

Currently the only trivial solution is to hack on
glade sources to use them in my project. (But that
isn't good way as it is very difficult to keep with
glade cvs).

Looking for you answers ....

As Archit already said in another mail glade-3 components (the palette,
the widget tree, etc) are implemented as separated widgets so that
should be possible with some work refactor the thing in a library for
use in separated apps... what can I say? Patches welcome!

I only wanted to add a couple of things:

1) with regard to portability glade-3 is 100% gtk+ (no gnome deps) so is
portable everywere it makes sense, ie where there is a working gtk.
AFAIK the thing should work on windows out of the box.

2) a little warning glade-3 is not much far from working properly, but
is not ready today in case you were planning of deploy your program in
short time. Of course the more patches you sent, the sooner glade-3 gets
ready :-)

I hope I managed to get you slightly interested... feel free to check
glade-3 out of cvs and give the TODO file a read.

ciao
        paolo