[Glade-devel] Coding style

Hey!

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 10:24 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:09, Paolo Borelli wrote:

Just to clarify:

the preferred style was changed to "brace on a new line" back when
Joaquin was the maintainer: he started committing chuncks of code with
this style, so I asked him which one he preferred and went on converting
the files I was already editing, since I was fine with either styles and
the only thing I was concerned was consistency.

For what is worth large chunks of gnome use this style (8 spaces tab
indent, braces on a new line), for instance gedit and epiphany.

OK. That is fair enough. Though I would have preferred it left as the
standard GNOME style.

GNOME guidelines pretty fairly state that patches should be written
using whatever style the author writes the code in.  For community
projects like Glade, a style should be _decided upon_ (and I believe
Tristan and co. have decided on new lines for braces) and then any
patches should follow this style.  Style is such a trivial issue,
anyway!

Most of us are pretty good programmers, let's not quarrel over stuff
like this.  Write a short sed script that converts your style into Glade
style, if you like, and apply it before submitting patches :-)

I personally prefer braces on the same line for control blocks (if, for,
while) and braces on new lines for function definitions, but hey, that's
me.  If I write a project from scratch ever, that'll be my style.  In
the end, when submitting patches I convert to the style of the author,
which is what everyone should do, probably ;-)

-Andrew