[Glade-devel] GtkStyles (was: .. about using XUL .. )

On Thu, Tommi Komulainen  wrote:
On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 10:27, ext todd wrote:
Sridhar R wrote:

What about using XUL instead of glade-xml.  Can
anyone
explain what makes glade-xml to be prefered
choice
over XUL. We (OSS community) need to standardize
on
technologies.  Can anyone take initial step?

[I'm just lurking on this list, the following
doesn't reflect the
position of the Glade team.]

Well, I've been idly wondering why does Glade store
both structure and
style in the same XML file while others (XHTML +
CSS) are trying rather
hard to separate the two (more or less
successfully.)

  Oh!, that's great, something like which I was asking
in this list before (about adding gtkstyle properties
to properties).  Also glade should support, styles
like background-color for global widgets as well as
for specific widgets.  Nice feature.

It should be rather straightforward to move spacings
and other
properties outside the XML file into a separate
stylesheet (using a
subset of CSS perhaps) and then you'd have something
quite similar to
XUL:

<GtkWindow id="window1" _title="My Window">
  <GtkVBox id="vbox1">
    <GtkEntry id="entry1" value="" />
    <GtkEventBox id="eventbox1" />
  </GtkVBox>
</GtkWindow>

Embedding code... that's probably a harder problem.
Embedding C code
feels uncomfortable at least for me and adding
JavaScript support is
quite a lot of work I guess.  It would be nice to be
able to define
'Keep this button insensitive while this entry is
empty' in the Glade
model, though.

--
Tommi Komulainen <tommi komulainen nokia com>

=====
"World domination. Fast."
(By Linus Torvalds)
---
Sridhar R
Email: r_sridhar xATx users xDOTx sf xDOTx net
WWW:   http://sridhar.has.it
Blog:  http://sridhar.blog-city.com