[Glade-devel] libglade ideas

--------------030908070905070908060308

Olexiy Avramchenko wrote:

todd wrote:

just some ideas and something i'd like to help build and test to see
whether or not it actually improves performance or not.  I mean maybe
you're right maybe just compressing
the xml files yields sufficient amount of performance gain on the
disk io side that it makes up for any extra overhead added for
decompressing the files.  At any rate i think its
something interesting to think about.

I've write a simple test case that uses glade_parser_parse_file() for
load xml. The test shows that performance penalty for compressed files
is less than 10% for fast machines (can't reach a slow box right now).
Gzipped files rule when they're stored on slow (flash, remote) drives
and when they're not cached in RAM (first application launch).
Maybe I'll test this stuff with heavily optimized libraries (-O3,
-march=, etc...).

I've attached the test case. It contain gzipped xml file (26266 lines,
1027500 bytes). Files "p?-*" contain some results.

   Olexiy

I ran this on my p4 and got these numbers:

plain text/xml is 7% faster, difference: 15ms (15069us)

doesn't this argue in favor of providing a binary format for libglade
that would offer faster load times then compressed files and plain text
files?

-todd

--------------030908070905070908060308

begin:vcard