[Glade-devel] A library API to Glade3 for other programs.

--- "John (J5) Palmieri" <johnp martianrock com>
wrote:
Hello

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 04:30, Archit Baweja wrote:

There are 2 main ways of exposing the glade3's
capabilities

1) Bonobo || IDL interfaces. Lots of Bonobo/CORBA
overhead involved. Gives us
the glade3 develops more to do. But we have the
advantage of starting "late"
on working this without changing much of the code.
With the other option, we
might just have to start changing from the ground
up.

2) A simple C library API interface. Not much
overhead. And saves the glade3
developers lot of work. Projects wanting to embedd
glade3 can encapsulate
it by wrapping glade3 API calls in their own
plugin/dock system.

During our discussion on #devel-tools on
irc.gnome.org, we had sort of went in
favour of option 2. But its the community's call.

As a developer of Scaffold I would like to point out
that we use Bonobo
quite successfully without any noticable slowdowns.

I don't think that Archit was thinking on slowdowns
when he said "Lots of Bonobo/CORBA overhead involved".
 It looks to me as if he was speaking of intelectual
overhead (but that's up to him to clarify it).

FWIW, I don't really care if somebody does a bonobo
wraper of glade.  Just having a bonobo wrapper doesn't
mean that we can't build glade on windows.  The bonobo
wrapper would of course only be available on the linux
build, but that's not a problem.

Anyway, I think that you should start trying to use
glade-3 on scaffold (even if just copying & pasting
the code) and bring the most important issues on
current glade-3 to make it usable (I'm expecting
changes to report the addition of new callbacks to
scaffold, at the very least).

It's already discutable the usefulness of having the
editor as a component, let alone an alpha quality user
interface builder.

So, in short, a bonobo wrapper will be nice, but if
you want it right now, you will have to do it yourself
:)

Cheers,

=====
Joaquin Cuenca Abela