[gitg] Help with debugging a segfault in gitg

I was recently trying out gitg and I've been enjoying it so far. I have
recently hit a seg-fault in libgitg-1.0 that I can consistently
reproduce. I'm a C/C++ developer so I figured I might try and debug and
solve it myself since I've been wanting to contribute to an open-source
project for quite a while and this is a perfect learning opportunity.

I've set up the build environment and have compiled it, but at this
point I'm at a loss as to what debugging tools you would use now for
gitg. I don't even know where the logs go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what are the
best resources for debugging? I have never worked on a Gnome or GTK
project before so if there's a common place for these things in these
projects, I don't know of it.

The version on which I hit the seg-fault is 3.23.0 (Debian 9 repository
version). I've checked out this version in the gitg repo. I can't
compile the newest version to see if I could reproduce the bug there as
it requires libgit2 and libgit2-glib to be >0.25 which is not available
on Debian (it has 0.24) and I haven't yet gotten around to setting an
environment with the newer versions.

Thanks,
Wojtek