Re: where to find GIR XML documentation?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 06:27, David Bellot via gir-devel-list <gir-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a complete description of the GIR xml format.

Outside of the schema, there isn't one. It's a long-standing issue:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gobject-introspection/issues/88

Ideally, documenting the schema would already be an improvement.

2- gir-1.2.rnc seems to describe the format, but is it up-to-date with the C code and, obviously, it does not contains explanations and details?

The schema was compiled by "reverse engineering" the introspection data generated by g-ir-scanner over multiple GNOME libraries, and then used to validate them, so it accurately reflects the current state of the introspection scanner.

Ideally, we'd have a test tool that would ensure validation as part of the introspection data generation, since we have two generators—the g-ir-parser tool, and the GIR generator in Vala. That ought to be a separate task.

3- reading the C code is my last ressort option, but I'm not sure where to start, unless someone can point me in the right direction (girnode.[ch] ? girparser.[ch] ?)

The introspection parser is written in Python, not C, and it's the one generating the data, so I'd start from that.

of course, I'll contribute my findings back and will write a more up to date documentation.

That would be very much appreciated.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.